How does it work?
If you’re struggling with debt, you may be able to apply to the County Court for an Administration Order – a formal, legally-binding arrangement that allows you to repay what you owe over a manageable period of time.
You can apply for an Administration Order if you:
- have at least two debts
- owe under £5,000 in total
- have at least one County Court Judgment or Higher Court Judgment against you
- can afford to repay your debts in regular installments – from as little as £1 per debt.
The Administration Order is granted by a judge, who may require you to go to a court hearing. Once everything is approved, you’ll make regular monthly payments, which will be distributed by the court to the people you owe money to. These people are not allowed to get in touch with you without the court’s permission.
If you’re unlikely to be able to pay off all your debts within a reasonable time-frame, the court may agree to grant a Composition Order. This means you’ll pay back half your debt and have the other half written off.
Before applying for an Administration or Composition Order – or any other debt solution – it’s a good idea to get advice from a free, independent and expert service like ours.
Get in touch with our team today by calling 0808 164 2480 or filling in our short assessment form.
What to expect
- We’ll use the information you’ve given us on the phone or in your assessment form to establish the nature and urgency of your debt.
- We’ll book you in for a face-to-face appointment at your nearest centre – or a telephone advice session if required – so we can give you a detailed analysis of the help available to you.
- We’ll discuss your options and talk through the pros and cons of each.
- We’ll establish the best possible solution and help you to resolve your debt – whether that’s by means of advocacy, representation or negotiation on your behalf, or by helping you write letters and supporting you throughout the process.
Every year, we help thousands of people to become debt-free.
Debt Free London is a partnership of 26 debt charities led by Toynbee Hall, which provides free, trustworthy advice sessions across London. Our service is funded by the Single Finance Guidance Body (previously Money Advice Service) and we’re authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.